BY JOAN WANJIKU,NAIROBI,3RD NOV,2021-The Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) now says voter registration will continue until further notice.
This is after a voter named Patrick Cherono filed an application arguing that IEBC had not met its target of registering about 4.5 million new voters.
The High Court sitting in Eldoret issued exparte orders prohibiting the Commission from closing the month-long national voter registration exercise scheduled to end 2nd November.
Justice Eric Ogolla issued the orders which will remain in place until November 9, when the case will be heard.
In a rejoinder, the Commission said it will be moving to court to challenge the order.
“The prohibition was ordered to subsist until 9th November 2021 when the case will be heard interpartes. The Commission properly advised on the legal and operational ramifications of the Court order, moved to court today to challenge the order. The case will be heard tomorrow at 8 am”, said IEBC Chair Wafula Chebukati.
The commission which has been under pressure to extend the mass registration exercise had indicated that it is unable to do so because of lack of funds.
IEBC Vice-Chairperson Juliana Cherera said the directive had repercussions noting that the commission will not be able to pay the contracted staff if voter listing is extended.
So far only 1.1 million Kenyans have registered as voters against a target of 4.5 million.