BY JOAN WANJIKU,NAIROBI,18TH AUG 2021-President Uhuru Kenyatta has extended Covid-19 containment measures for another 60 days.
This was after a meeting with opposition leaders that was also attended by Health CS Mutahi Kagwe on Wednesday.
The measures are meant to contain the spread of the Covid-19 pandemic which by Wednesday had claimed 4,378 lives from 224,400 confirmed cases.
The containment measures include the nationwide 10pm to 4am curfew.
All physical and in-person public gatherings and meetings, including political rallies and campaign meetings for impending by elections are also suspended for a further 60 days.
Further, Uhuru directed that all other social gatherings, including weddings, funerals and all other similar events or ceremonies, shall strictly adhere to the 100-person attendance limit as prescribed.
The President said the review was occasioned by the exponential rise in infection rates across several counties, due to unrestrained gatherings and congregations, in breach of guidelines as issued by the Ministry of Health.
“In particular, 18 counties have recorded a positivity rate above 20 per cent, and over the last week, the following counties have recorded a positivity rate of above 30 per cent: Kiambu, Nyandarua, Murang’a,Makueni, Machakos, Baringo, Meru, and Nyeri,” Uhuru said.
Government Spokesperson Cyrus Oguna earlier today reminded politicians, and members of the public to adhere to the stipulated Covid-19 regulations.
“As a reminder, all public gatherings, including political rallies remain suspended. This is to ensure that we cut the chain of transmission and reduce the rising cases of Covid–19 infections in the country,” Oguna said in a post via Twitter on Wednesday.