Change of tactics as govt announces new approach in tackling locusts menace

A locust feeds on vegetation|COURTESY

 9,749 total views,  1 views today

BY KORIR JUMA,NAIROBI, 16TH FEB 2020-The government has decided to employ a new tactic to curb locust menace as the  insects continue to wreck havoc in different parts of the country.The government through the ministry of Agriculture  has  now appointed a consultant to assess the damage desert locusts have caused since the invasion began about three months ago.

Agriculture Cabinet Secretary Peter Munya announced this on Sunday, when he came face to face with a fresh swarm in the expansive and arid Mbeere part of Embu County.

Accompanied by area member of Parliament Muriuki Njagagua, the CS said the consultant and a team of experts will soon be dispatched to affected counties to carry out rapid assessments.

“We would like to know the magnitude of crops destroyed so we can find ways to assist the victims,” he told the residents at Karambari village in Mbeere North Constituency after visiting an affected area.

Since the insects invaded the country  three months ago.they have brought untold suffering to farmers across the country with most farmers whose farms have been invaded counting loses amounting to million of shillings .So far they have  spread to counties  of  Embu, Mandera, Marsabit, Wajir, Garissa, Isiolo, Samburu, Meru, Turkana, Machakos, Kirinyaga, Tharaka-Nithi and Laikipia among others.

Facebook Comments