Governor Mike Sonko to spend weekend behind bars after judge declines bail request

Governor Mike Sonko to spend weekend behind bars after judge declines bail request

BY JOAN WANJIKU,NAIROBI,6TH DEC,2019– Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko will spend his entire weekend behind bars after a Nairobi judge declined his request for bail.
High Court Judge John Onyiego while rejecting the governor’s application stated the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) would have to respond to the suspect’s claim that his rights had been violated by the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission officials during his arrest.
Reports says  the governor  had sought an anticipatory bail through his lawyer Cecil Miller after his arrest in the morning of Friday, December 6, over graft allegations.
The lawyer said there was no reason as to why Sonko should spend the whole weekend behind bars if the DPP had concluded investigations.
Governor Mike Sonko is facing allegations of misappropriating KSh 357 million through irregular tender payments.
 Noordin Haji while ordering for Sonko’s arrest said he had sufficient evidence to warrant his prosecution and other senior Nairobi city county officials.
Facebook Comments Box