BY NAMULONGO PETER,NAIROBI,22ND JULY,2019-Matters continue to be complicated for Treasury CS Henry Rotich and his Principal Secretary Kamau Thugge and 26 others since they will spend the night in police custody until Tuesday when they will be arraigned.This follows their arrests over the Kamwerer and Arror dam scandal.The office of the DPP have also said that they will make a decision on whether the Italians implicated in the scandal will be prosecuted.
The CS and PS are facing abuse of office allegations.Addressing the press on Monday the DPP had ordered the arrest and prosecution of Finance Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich, Principal Secretary Kamau Thuge among other senior government officials. According to the list of accusations leveled against them ,they are to face among other charges:
- Knowingly giving a misleading document to principal contrary to section 41 (2) as read with section 48 of Anti- 20 Corruption and Economic Crimes Act no. 3 of 2003 of the Laws of Kenya. 8. Wilful Neglect to Perform Official Duty contrary to section 128 as read with section 36 of the Penal Code.
- Conspiracy to defraud contrary to section 317 of the Penal Code, Cap 63 Laws of Kenya;
- Wilful failure to comply with applicable procedures and guidelines relating to procurement contrary to section 45 (2) (b) as read with section 48 of the Anti-Corruption and Economic Crimes Act No. 3 of 2003;
- Engaging in a project without prior planning contrary to section 45 (2) (c) as read with section 48 of Anti-Corruption and Economic Crimes Act No. 3 of 2003;
- Abuse of office contrary to section 46 as read with section 48 of Anti-Corruption and Economic Crimes Act No. 3 of 2003.
- Committing an offence of financial misconduct contrary to section 197 (1) (o) (i) of the Public Finance Management Act no. 18 of 2012.
- Fraudulent acquisition of public property contrary to section 45 (1) (a) as read with section 48 of the Anti-Corruption and Economic Crimes Act, 2003.