3,424 total views, 7 views today
BY CORRESPONDENT,NAIROBI,9TH JULY 2019-Tullow oil has moved in to confirm that trucks transporting crude oil from Turkana to Mombasa have departed after they were briefly disrupted by group of youth who were demanding more job opportunities at Lokichar.
In a statement sent to the press on Tuesday afternoon,Tullow confirmed that there had been a disruption of a convoy of trucks transporting crude oil from Lokichar to Mombasa but upon intervention by local leaders the issue was addressed.”At 1100hrs on Monday 8th July 2018, a convoy of trucks carrying crude oil from Lokichar to Mombasa and operated by our contractors was briefly interrupted at Lokichar by a group who identified themselves as members of an association representing truck drivers from Turkana South and were demanding for more opportunities for local drivers. The office of the Turkana County Commissioner led by the Turkana South Deputy County Commissioner, Mr. Philip Sigei, quickly intervened and after a brief meeting with the group, the group agreed to demobilize and raise their grievances through the established Turkana Grievances Management Committee which is chaired by the County Commissioner, Turkana County. Followingthis agreement, the situation normalized, and the trucks departed for Mombasa at 1140hrs.”said the brief statement.
This was after NTV carried a story concerning the standoff on its lunch time bulletin.The article had said that there had been a major setback on the process of oil transportation due to the said disruption.The company further confirmed that 30 percent of all EOPS trucks and driver opportunities have been provided to Turkana local business people and local drivers, respectively.
”Tullow looks to give first consideration of the procurement of goods and services, where commercially and
technically possible, to local suppliers from the host countries in which we operate.” the statement said.