Local News 

Its 5 years in prison for a woman who stole baby from KNH

2,162 total views, 1 views today

BY JOAN WANJIKU,NAIROBI,25TH JUNE 2019-The court has sentenced to five years in prison a  woman who stole a two-week old baby from the Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH) in 2018 .

Nairobi  Court Chief Magistrate Roselyn Oganyo  while delivering the ruling on Tuesday,said the prosecution, led by Willy Momanyi, had proved its case against Ednah Kemunto Mabuka.

Kemunto stole baby Prince Ouko from KNH on February 18, 2018, after she was asked by the infant’s father, Job Nyatiti Ouko, to check on his twins as he wheeled his wife to a room on the first floor of the hospital.

Mr Ouko told the press he rushed his wife and mother of the twins to KNH on the fateful day at around 2am but had to wait for hours as he was informed the room she was to be admitted in was “yet to be cleaned.”

At around 11:30 am, the room was finally available for use and he was asked to wheel in the wife to room 108.

It was then that he decided to ask two women who were in the queue with him to look after the twins but, about two minutes later, one of the women who was carrying his other child  Brighton   rushed toward him saying the other woman had taken off with Prince.

Shocked beyond imagination Mr. Ouko,  reported the incident to the KNH management and, upon scrutiny of the CCTV footage, a woman with unkempt hair, red top and black skirt later identified as Kemunto was seen carrying the baby and heading for the exit.

Days later  after Mr. Ouko’s moving  story was highlighted in the media , a Good Samaritan from Kawangware contacted him raising alarm about a neighbor  Kemunto  who had suffered a miscarriage earlier on only to come back home with a baby on the day Prince was stolen.

The father then, together with his brother and area chief, stormed Kemunto’s home and found Prince Ouko crying and still in the same clothes he was wearing when he was taken.

The suspect (woman) was arraigned before a Nairobi court where she initially pleaded guilty on February 27, 2018, only to later change her plea to ‘not guilty’ and was released on a cash bail of Ksh.600, 000.

Facebook Comments

Related posts

Please wait...

Subscribe to our news updates

Want to be notified when news article is published? Enter your email address and name below to be the first to know.