1,338 total views, 2 views today
BY SAMSON MBII,NAIROBI,9TH JUNE,2019-Curtains came down on the 2018-19 National Super League (NSL) season on Sunday 9 June and on the final round of the campaign with Wazito FC and Kisumu All Stars finishing the season in 1st and 2nd place respectively to secure automatic promotion to the KPL after producing similar 7-1 hidings on Sunday with Nairobi Stima, who were also gunning for automatic promotion, being left to settle for a playoff spot with a 3rdplace finish.
The three teams came into the round separated only by a single point with Wazito holding the advantage, one they would maintain after a whitewash of St. Joseph Youth at the Camp Toyoyo that saw them conclude the season as the best team with 81 points.
It rained goals also at the Thika Stadium as hosts Thika United, already relegated, received a severe beating from Kisumu All Stars, who gain promotion to the KPL after only two seasons in the second tier.
All Stars took up the place of Palos FC who disbanded after the conclusion of the 2017 season and secured 2nd place ahead of Stima on goal difference as the two teams finished tied on 80 points.
Stima on their part travelled away to the Eldoret Show Grounds where a 4-2 victory over hosts Eldoret Youth, secures them a promotion playoff two-legged tie against Posta Rangers who finished third from bottom in the KPL.
Dates for the tie are yet to be confirmed but the fact that no second tier side has ever claimed victory in the playoff against the top tier opposition could be difficult reading for Stima who narrowly missed out on the slot in last season’s campaign where they finished 4th.
Ushuru FC, who this season missed out on a top 3 finish having finished in 4th place, have played in the playoffs twice in succession. Losing to Thika United in 2017 and Nakumatt FC in 2018.
At the opposite end of the table, Kangemi All Stars, Thika and Green Commandos have been confirmed as the relegation casualties.
Below are the summarized results of the final round;
- Kenya Police 2-2 Ushuru (Karuturi Grounds)
- Migori Youth 2-0 Kangemi All-Stars (Awendo Stadium)
- Fortune Sacco vs Modern Coast Rangers (Kianyaga Stadium)
- Kibera Black Stars 1-2 Nairobi City Stars (Hope Center)
- Green Commandos vs Coast Stima (Bukhungu Stadium)
- Wazito 7-1 St. Joseph’s Youth (Camp Toyoyo)
- Administration Police vs Bidco United (Ruaraka Grounds)
- Thika United 1-7 Kisumu All Stars (Thika Stadium)
- Shabana 3-1 FC Talanta (Gusii Stadium)
- Eldoret Youth 2-4 Nairobi Stima (Eldoret Show Grounds)