Blow to Mau evictions victims as court says the process of their removal will proceed

 506 total views,  1 views today

BY JOHN WERU,NAIROBI,25TH JULY 2018-The  victims of Mau evictions process have suffered a major setback after Environment and Lands Court refused to issue conservatory orders stopping their removal from Maasai Mau forest.

While issuing the ruling ,Justice Mohammed Kullow on Wednesday called for inter partes hearing on August 6.

The  petition was filed  this morning  by Kericho Governor Paul Chepkwony  who wants  the government to stop  from evicting settlers.He says  more than 40,000 stand to lose.

So far the government has secured about 12,000 hectares of forest land, kicking out 7,082 people and demolishing over 1,700 temporary structures in the 46,000-hectare Maasai Mau forest in the close of the first phase last week.

Narok County Commissioner George Natembeya said phase two is set to begin.

Among  other areas the  evictions have been carried out  are  Kosia, Total  Arorwet, Kipchoge and Nkoben.

Facebook Comments Box