Kisii high school becomes the latest public school to be hit by current wave of fires as dorm is reduced to ashes

Kisii high school becomes the latest public school to be hit by current wave of fires as dorm is reduced to ashes

 BY CORRESPONDENT,KISII,11TH JULY 2018-Kisii High School  has become the latest public schools to be hit by the current wave of school fires after a fiece inferno reduced its dorm to ashes  con Tuesday night.

Eight students have been arrested in connection with the incident

The eight suspects, police said on Wednesday, were captured by CCTV cameras leaving the dorm moments before it started burning.

The school installed the cameras a week ago.

County police commander Hassan Abdi said they were investigating the cause of the fire.

The suspects are currently being held at Kisii Central Police Station and could be arraigned in court either on Wednesday or Thursday morning.

During the Tuesday night incident, parents and the public flocked the national school after getting news that it was burning.

School Board of Management Chairman Patrick Nyagusia said the flames consumed property of unknown value.

“The dormitory, commonly referred to us Wire House, was completely destroyed,” he said.

“Nothing was salvaged. But we are grateful to the County Disaster Team for their quick response in fighting the fire.”

Kisii Administration Executive Walter Okibo called for calm, saying investigations would reveal the cause of the fire.

Bonchari MP Oroo Oyioka, who is also a member of National Assembly’s committee on Education, appealed for assistance.

“We are calling upon well-wishers to come in and help 198 students who lost their properties,” he said.

Until the time of going to the press On Wednesday, the school’s board was still in a crisis meeting in an effort to  establish the cause of the tragedy.

Oyioka,said he was disappointed by the incident at Kisii High School and Chalbi Secondary School in Marsabit, where students beat up their teachers.

He assured parents and the entire country that he would communicate the information he would gather from the scene of the fire to the committee, which is expected start its sitting  this week.

The fire begun at around 8pm while students are in class for evening preps.No one was injured.

Facebook Comments Box