One person dies of Anthrax in Kericho

 382 total views,  1 views today

BY CORRESPONDENT,KERICHO,5TH JULY 2018-One person has  died of anthrax in Kapsoit Ward in Kericho .The ma died after coming into contact with the carcass of a cow that succumbed to the disease.

Mr Josphat Too, 24, from Kapchelal village, is said to have contracted the zoonotic disease— one that attacks both humans and animals— while helping a neighbour to skin the carcass.

The deceased had complained of headache and severe stomach pains before being rushed to Kericho County Hospital where he succumbed.

The father of two was buried on Wednesday in a colourless event, where mourners were not allowed to view his body.

Dr David Rotich, the Kericho County veterinary officer, said several other people who handled the carcass or ate the contaminated meat were treated at home.

“A total of four cows have died in this area, but after testing, only one succumbed to anthrax. The rest suffered from East Coast Fever,” said Dr Rotich during the burial.

He said the county had put in place strategies to ensure that all animals in the region are vaccinated.

Kapsoit MCA Paul Chirchir cautioned residents against eating uninspected meat or touching animals that succumb to unknown infections.

In case of such cases, he said, farmers should notify health officials immediately.

“The last time such a case was reported was seven years ago. We are glad that the county veterinary and public health officials responded fast,” he said.

“They made sure that the carcass was disposed six feet down and disinfected the surrounding area as required by safety principles.”

John Koskei who is  a vet from the area says  Mr Too had skinned the carcass without wearing gloves hence allowing the virus into a wound he had on his hand.

Facebook Comments Box