BY NAMULONGO PETER,NAIROBI,5TH MAY 2018-Seventeen more suspects implicated in Sh8 billion National Youth Service (NYS) scandal were on Monday arraigned at Milimani Law Courts in Nairobi.
The suspects are among 27 suspects wanted by the Directorate of Criminal Investigations after they skipped court.
They are among business people, government officers and company bosses accused of stealing Sh468 million from the service.
The 17 were not in court when 22 other suspects, including suspended Youth Affairs Principal Secretary Lilian Mbogo Omollo, denied charges of fraud and abuse of office last week.
Twelve of the accused were arrested on Thursday when they presented themselves to the DCI as directed by Chief Magistrate Douglas Ogoti.
Two were arrested on Sunday and the rest showed up in court on Monday morning and were promptly arrested.
The Nairobi court issued warrants of arrest against two directors of a company suspected to have received Sh24 million from NYS for goods not supplied.
This is after Anthony Wamiti and Peter Kimani of Arkroad Holdings Limited failed to appear in court.
Their lawyer Kirathe Wandugi told chief magistrate Douglas Ogoti that the two were to appear in court this morning but a “terrible jam” made it difficult for them to reach the court.
He asked the court to defer the plea to tomorrow but the application was rejected by senior assistant Director of Public Prosecution Emily Kamau.
Ms Kamau told the court that Mr Wandugi had made an undertaking last week to present them to the Directorate of Criminal Investigations but failed to do as directed.
Mr Ogoti directed the police to arrest them and being them to court.
The two through their company allegedly received Sh24,866,800 from NYS for goods not supplied.
However Humphrey Mbogo, could not appear and his lawyer Kamau Mbiyu said he was taken ill and admitted at a Thika Hospital.