BY NAMULONGO PETER,NAIROBI,30TH MAY 2018-It is a week in remand for PS Omollo, Ndubai after Director of Public Prosecution Noordin Haji on Tuesday night managed to successfully block their release on bail after they were charged in 9 Khs billion NYS scandal.
The suspects will remain locked up until Tuesday, June 5 when the court will rule on whether to free them pending trial.
The DPP, who preferred multiple counts relating to theft of Sh468 million from NYS against the suspects, argued that their release on bail was likely going to prejudice the case.
“We are opposed to their release on bail as they are a flight risk and are likely to abscond court,” senior assistant DPP Emily Kamau said.
Charges against 24 suspects among them Youth and Gender PS Lilian Omollo, NYS director general Richard Ndubai and former acting director general Sammy Michuki were read out to them in a long and slow process that began shortly after 2.30pm and ended very late in the night.
Ten files detailing different counts were read against the culprits before Anti-Corruption Court magistrate Douglas Ogoti.
The suspects denied the charges relating to abuse of office, conspiracy to commit an offence of economic crimes, wilful failure to comply with applicable laws, and theft of public property.
However, the suspects opposed the application saying it was their right to be freed on bail regardless of the crime alleged to have been committed.
Omollo told the magistrate that claims by the prosecutor that she was going to abscond court could not stand adding that she has freely availed herself to investigators in not less than 50 times since 2016 when required.
The PS said she has so far been cooperating with investigators and thus incapable of tampering with any evidence relating to NYS.
She said the fear alluded by the prosecution that she was going to interfere with witnesses was not here no there as she was no longer in office and hence has no capacity to do so.
“She is not a risk to public property. She has been a leader in this country and still remains to be one,” her lawyer argued.
The lawyer asked the court to consider that pre-trial detention ought to be at the last resort.
Further, the magistrate was told to preserve the dignity of the accused.
Meanwhile, the Anti-corruption Court has directed 13 suspects who failed to show up on Tuesday to plead to charges relating to theft of Sh468 million at the National Youth Service to appear before the DCI on Thursday.
Ogoti directed the suspect to present themselves at 2pm so that they can be processed before they take plea.
The orders were issued following an application by the office of DPP.