Gor Mahia continues with their good show in KPL after moving six point top of table on Wednesday

Gor Mahia continues with their good show in KPL after moving six point top of table on Wednesday

BY CORRESPONDENT,KISUMU,30TH MAY 2018– Gor Mahia  have moved six points clear at the top of the SportPesa Premier League  table after  their narrow win of 1-0 over Sony Sugar in a mid-week match  played at the Moi Stadium in Kisumu on Wednesday.

It was Ivorian striker Ephrem Guikan who  send the ball inside the net at  38th minute  giving  Kogalo three points against their Awendo-based opponents.

Gor are now on 34 points from 14 matches, with Ulinzi in second on 28 points from 16 matches. Sony remain bottom of the pile with 14 points from 17 matches.

Gor Mahia head coach Dylan Kerr said while his side missed several chances, they played a good game as they kept possession in the entire match.

“We always want to press and score goals and the players did exactly that today. Yes we would have scored more goals but this is football anything can happen, it is a victory and I’m happy about it,” said Kerr.

His Sony Sugar counterpart Patrick Odhiambo defend his side’s decision to play behind the ball most of the time saying it was a tactical approach.

“In the first half we did not go in front most of the time and this was to avoid opening the game to give our opponents a chance to score more goals. We tried in the second half and created few chances but we were not lucky,” said Odhiambo.

As expected Gor began the duel impressively, making their first attempt at goal through a corner-kick, but Samuel Olare cleared the ball to safety, before Rwandese Meddie Kagere came close to netting his side’s first goal a few minutes later but his header went over the crossbar by a few inches.

Humphrey Mieno was not lucky as two successive chances that came his way were well dealt with by Kevin Omondi in the Sony goal.

The match saw the best talents at Kogalo among them  Ugandan Geofrey Walusimbi  Kagere ,Ernest Wendo  showcase their  expertise  to ensure that Gor mahia get the most out of the match.

the team spirit saw  Sony’s defence  teared into minutes later and set Kagere with a through pass from the edge of the box, but the striker’s shot was weak and did not perturb Omondi in goal.

Guikan finally broke the deadlock in the 38th minute with an easy finish after connecting well with Innocent Wafula’s dangerous cross inside the box.

Bonface Oluoch had a field day in the first half as host Sony Sugar made no attempts at goal.

At the beginning of the second half, Clinton Omondi made Sony’s first attempt at Gor Mahia’s goal with a long strike from the left wing, but the safe hands of Oluoch comfortably gathered the ball.

Sony were awarded a free-kick in the 52nd minute after Gor captain Harun Shakava fouled Tobias Otieno outside the box, but Omondi failed to hit the target.

At this point Sony  gained some momentum few minutes into second half as they were again on the offensive minutes later, but Shakava blocked Derrick Otanga’s shot outside the danger area.Things continue to proof difficult for Sony until the 90th  minute.


Facebook Comments Box