Hull City edge out Gor Mahia in a 4-3 win through shootout

 1,564 total views,  1 views today

Hull City FC claimed a 4-3 shootout win over Gor Mahia FC  on Sunday after the match  ended 0-0 in regulation time.This was after Goalkeeper Callum Burton saved three spot-kicks.


The two sides had battled to a barren stalemate draw in the regulation time, and both sides would save the first spot kicks, captain Harun Shakava sending his straight to the Hull keeper. Medie Kagere converted the second, Jacques Tuyisenge followed the suit, but substitutes Kevin Omondi and Cercidy Okeyo could not.

Despite the loss, the English side will narrate a story of an African team with an amazing might, if the Kasarani proceedings sunk well to the visitors.

Backed by terrific fans who filled the stadium to the last seat, Gor created chances massively in the first stanza, but missed to convert massively too.

Gor’s Dylan Kerr wanted a win, thus paraded his finest caring little for the looming Wednesday CAF clash against USM Algiers of Algeria in the same venue, benching only Kagere among his first team regulars.

George ‘Blackberry’ Odhiambo, who endeared himself to fans with beautiful moves in the most of the half tested the visitors within the first five minutes, before setting up Ivorian Ephrem Guikan a while later. However, he could not beat the alert Hull custodian Marshall.

ODM leader Raila Odinga greets Hull City players before the start of the match at Kasarani Stadium-UPESINEWS

Hull’s first attempt was engineered by Campbell, who was however unable to breakthrough Philemon Otieno, Shakava and Godfrey Walusimbi who were all over as he sought to shoot in the goalmouth.

John Toral almost found the opener, connecting a well executed free kick just about the quarter hour only for his header to fly over the crossbar with Oluoch lost.

Francis Kahata could not finish off a well threaded move between him and Odhiambo in the 20th, and was unlucky to watch his sumptuously curled free kick miss the door narrowly eight minutes later.

The lady luck was not for Gor through Tuyisenge still, whose effort from Humphrey Mieno’s cross was thwarted.

Until the end of first a half , Gor were counting more losses than gains, in the balance sheet of attempts against the zero score.

Upon resumption, Odhiambo needed only two minutes to lift the eager fans when he was sent through by Walusimbi, only to be ruled offside just before finishing.

Substitute Kagere also was stopped by the referee just before pulling the trigger, for an offside offense with only Marshall left on his way.

A section of fans hurled bottles in the field but momentarily expressing dissatisfaction with the result.This was after the final whistle.

Facebook Comments Box