550 total views, 1 views today
BY JOAN WANJIKU,NAIROBI,10TH MAY 2018-The government continues to adopt improved security measures at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport as the country gears up for a roll-out of direct flights to the United States in October.Interior Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiangi says the government was determined to ensure the airport was safe for all visitors visiting the country.
The CS says entire security system has been overhauled and more strict measures adopted in a bid to seal any loopholes.
Addressing the press when he assessed security measures at the facility on Wednesday morning the CS says anyone who is not supposed to be at the airport has been removed, while a section of the airport land that had been encroached has been recovered.
Matiangi also cautioned all operators at the airport, like taxi firms to adhere to the new regulations set, saying there will be no compromise in ensuring Kenyans and those visiting the country are safe.
“To all service providers, the operators of taxis and those who want to do business at this airport; we love them very much and we want their business to succeed, but there is one thing they must understand, we will not compromise on the order and security of this airport,” he asserted.
“We will be firm and we will take the decisions that we must take and everyone must obey and live within the framework of order that has been established by the management of this airport.”
CS Transport James Macharia and his Tourism counterpart Najib Balala were present during the security assessment tour.
They say the government is keen to improve services at JKIA after the facility was granted Category One status allowing direct flights to and from the US.
“There have been major improvements especially as we target the direct flights in October this year,” he said.
On his part CS Macharia said only one is remaining to be addressed, to do with baggage handling at Terminus 2 out of all the 10 outstanding issues.