754 total views, 1 views today
BY CORRESPONDENT,MOMBASA,6TH APRIL 2018-A man in Kilifi can now breath easy after doctors at the Coast General Hospital successfully removed a toothbrush which he had accidentally swallowed .
The team of doctors at the coast general hospital led by Dr Ramadhan Omar on Friday conducted an endoscopic procedure through which they retrieved the toothbrush that has been stuck in David Charo’s stomach since Sunday.
They opted for endoscopic technology since the toothbrush was rigid and could not pass fixed parts of the duodenum.
Endoscopy refers to the removal of ingested objects from the esophagus, stomach and duodenum by endoscopic techniques. It does not involve surgery.
The patient was earlier advised by his doctors to avoid eating solid food but instead drink fluids to avoid pushing the toothbrush further.
Doctors declared Charo stable condition and will be discharged after recovery.
The patient,told journalists that he was happy and thankful for the efforts the doctors put in to save him.He said he was ready go home after successful operation.
The incident occurred in Paziani village, Ganze in Kilifi county.
Charo, a father of two, said he tried to pull out the toothbrush before it slid down into his throat with no success.
Doctor Abi Mwachi at Coast general hospital said the cases are normal.
He said 40 cases of swallowed toothbrushes have been reported worldwide. The youngest patient being a 18 year old girl.
“Most of the patients are described are usually perfectly normal. People should to stop casting aspersion,” said Mwachi