More substandard residential buildings in Nairobi to be demolished

 17,713 total views,  1 views today

BY NAMULONGO PETER,NAIROBI,10TH MARCH 2018-More buildings that do not meet the required  quality standards in Nairobi will be demolished from next wee.National Buildings Inspectorate has said.

Speaking in Kariobangi South on Saturday, The Secretary for National Buildings Inspectorate Moses Nyakiongora called on Kenyans to vacate buildings that show signs of collapsing to avoid endangering their lives.

“It is unfortunate that we have once again witnessed a building collapse, there are many that need to be demolished but we haven’t finalized the investigations,” he said.

Nyakiongora had visited the site where a three-storey building collapsed leaving hundreds of people homeless after they were forced to evacuate adjacent buildings.

“There are also a number of structures which are not necessarily unsafe on structural grounds but they are unsafe because they have been constructed on the wrong places like below high voltage power lines and near railway lines so from next week, watch out,” he added.

Fortunately no casualties were reported on Saturday since tenants had been ordered to vacate after cracks emerged at the walls and floors.

Incidences of buildings collapsing have been  witnessed around the city especially during rainy seasons with many people losing  their lives.

The cause of the collapse has been associated with  negligence on the part of developers  with most of them being accused of not following the laid down procedure as well as use of poor quality construction materials.

 

Facebook Comments Box