13,493 total views, 2 views today
BY KORIR JUMA,NAIROBI,9TH MARCH 2018-Suspects in NYS multi-million mega saga among them former Devolution Permanent Secretary Peter Mangiti have been acquitted .The suspects were facing charges in-relation to Sh47 million National Youth Service .
The suuspects numbering 22 have been released by a milimani law court by trial magistrate Lawrence Mugambi who freed thems for lack of evidence.
In his ruling whether the accused persons should be put on their defense, Mugambi said the prosecution has failed to establish a prima facie case against them.
In the case, Mangiti and his co-accused persons had denied that on December 12 2014 unlawfully disposed the millions.
Not yet out of woods
The officer who was in charge of procurement Selesio Karanja though has a case to answer.
The magistrate said according to evidence adduced so far, the prosecution has established a prima facie case against him over fraudulent procurement.
The charge sheet included among other charges that the suspects were facing abuse of office, willful failure to comply with procurement laws and fraudulent acquisition.
Mangiti is not off the hook yet as he faces charges in the Sh791 million NYS case facing key suspects Ben Gethi , Josephine Kabura and others.