1,060 total views, 1 views today
BY NAMULONGO PETER,NAIROBI,5TH MARCH 2018-Services at the Kenyatta national Hospital have been halted after over 700 doctors went on strike early Monday in a show of solidarity with one of their colleague suspended over a surgery blunder last week.
According to the workers they want their colleague reinstated immediately and for the management to handle the hospital’s systemic problems.
They held a meeting with officials of the Kenya Medical Pharmacists and Dentists Union (KMPDU).
Samuel Oroko, who is KMPDU’s national chair, said: “We demand a total overhaul of the entire KNH system.”
Ouma Oluga, who is Secretary General, said: “We have deliberated on the suspension of the neurosurgeons. We call on the KNH board to reinstate them unconditionally. Over 700 registrars working at KNH will no longer offer services until issues are sorted out.”
The doctor who is a Neurological Registrar was suspended alongside four other medics on March 2 after a head operation on the wrong patient.
As a result of the mix-up and amid concerns by the public, KNH Chief Executive Officer Lily Koros and the Clinical Services director Bernard Githae were sent on compulsory leave to allow investigations.
Health CS Sicily Kariuki appointed Thomas Mutie on Sunday to fill Koros’ position in acting capacity.
The hospital has since denied reports that UoN student Angelo Miano died after the wrong surgery at the facility.
The hospitals corporate communication officer in a statement said the two patients who underwent operations were being treated and have made good progresss.