1,768 total views, 1 views today
BY JOHN WERU,NAIROBI,13TH DEC 2017-Education cabinet secretary Fred Matiangi says the government will not change its position on the new text book policy announced by the ministry last week.
Speaking during the launch of new curriculum text book at the Kenya literature bureau in Nairobi on Wednesday December 13, The CS was categorical that whoever was not happy with the policy should go to court.” Let us meet in court if you are very aggrieved by the policy but we are not going back on that one let it be clear”.he said.The CS says that the government has been spending over kshs 300 billion on text books in school each year without children getting the value.
He says the policy was arrived at after lengthy deliberations with several stakeholders in the education sector with the aim of ensuring that every student was treated equally when it came to books.”How do you feel when a student in one school has all the required books while the other in another school in another part of the country has only two books or does not have any at all,and both will sit for the same exam at the end of the year?”.he asked.
There has been condemnation and uproar from across the book sellers and the head of schools since the policy was approved who feel that they will be disfranchised.
However Matiangi says it was the only way there will be equity in learning with all students getting the required learning books.