NTSA’s Francis Meja exonerates his officers from blame after Sachangwan accident ,blames careless driving

 2,034 total views,  1 views today

BY EURIDICE NZIOKA,NAIROBI,12TH DEC 2017-Just hours  after  multiple car crash resulted to  loss of close to 20 lives at Sachangwan area along Nakuru-Eldoret highway early Tuesday,The National Transport and safety Authority Director Francis Meja has  Absolved his officers from any blame.Addressing the press in Nairobi ,Meja said the worst accident this year was as a result of careless driving after a driver decided to drive on a free wheel.

Meja says  the drivers need to change their characters and behavior in order to reduce the incidents.”60 percent of the  accidents occurring on our roads are caused by behavior of our drivers who have decided  not to obey the rules.”Said Meja.

It had been reported that the Sachangwan accident occurred after NTSA officials started chasing after a drunk driver  a postion that NTSA boss has refuted saying the reporters were not telling the truth.”We have the contact of the driver of the Modern coast bus who has been helping us and he can a test to what we are saying if you want to call him we can give you his number.”added Meja.

Meja has also confirmed that the Authority had received information that the number of those who died from Kamukuywa bridge accident along Eldoret-Kitale highway had risen to 19.

Meja also attributed the accident  to careless driving.”The accident occurred after a PSV vehicle driver who was driving heading to Kitale side tried to overtake on the bridge where other vehicles had stalled it is then that  he came head on with a tractor that was ferrying sugarcane”.he said.

Meja also says the Authority has been largely involved in  cracking down on drunk drivers which he says is one of the biggest problem they face on the roads.”we are addressing the risk factors to try and minimise on loss of lives”,we want to appeal to the public to desist from drunk driving .he said.

Facebook Comments Box