It was an arson attack,CS Matiang’i says of Moi girls schools fire incident

It was an arson attack,CS Matiang’i says of Moi girls schools fire incident

BY EURIDICE NZIOKA,NAIROBI,4TH SEPT 2017-Education Cabinet Secretary Dr. Fred Matiang’i  says the  fire  incident that occurred at the Moi Girls High School Nairobi  last Saturday  was an arson attack and not an accident.

Several experts from the fire department, Kenya Power and police revisited the affected dormitory to establish what may have caused the fire.

UPESINEWS.CO.KE  has since established  that  preliminary findings  carried out so far point to arson attack.

Education CS Matiangi said so far authorities have ascertained that all students have been accounted for and  that the death toll from the incident now stands at 9.

Matiang’i had earlier said that those found culpable to have breached safety guidelines will be prosecuted.

This is after one more student succumbed to injuries on Sunday.

Nairobi Women’s Hospital has confirmed that two out of 10 students admitted at the hospital from the in Nairobi school are still in critical condition.

The management also confirmed receiving 50 injured students, 40 of whom were treated for minor burns and discharged.

The hospital CEO Felix Wanjala said majority of the victims had minor burns.

He said seven students with superficial burns are under 24 hour observation for any respiratory related complications and will be discharged once it is established they are stable.

Currently DNA testing is underway to enable parents of the victims collect the bodies for burial preparations.

Pius Masaai the Deputy Director of National Disasters Unit says DNA testing will begin on Tuesday to enable parents of the victims collect the bodies for burial preparations.

 

Facebook Comments Box