2,645 total views, 2 views today
BY NAMULONGO PETER,NAIROBI,14TH AUG 2017-The Kenya red cross says it has so far dealt with 117 cases of injuries as a result of protests that followed the announcement of presidential results .In its update to the press Monday Kenya Redcross secretary general Abbas Gullet says the cases are on the decrease after the number of those injured standing at 108 as on t Monday 14th August.This is because the rest have been treated and discharged.
The cases of injuries documented by the organization cut across the country with 45 cases reported in Nairobi,15 in kisumu, 13 cases in Migori with Meru and Nandi recording 1 case each.
The injured have soft tissue injuries on their heads and hands mostly from bullets.Abbas has also denied reports mainly on social media that there were attacks mated on residents of Kibra and Mathare informal settlements Sunday night.
Abbas also denounced images posted on some of the social media platforms showing bodies of injured and dead people.He says the organization has not come across any such cases saying that they may have originated from the 2007/8 post elections skirmishes or in other countries.He has also appealed to social media to stop spreading fake news.
He however did not give any details of the dead noting that the organization is mainly dealing with the injured . He also added that they will continue to receive and assist more cases as they get them. ”We work to alleviate human suffering & we are doing what we possibly can”.he said.