A  high school Student dies, ten others  critically ill  after drinking methanol in  Baringo

A high school Student dies, ten others critically ill after drinking methanol in Baringo

BY CORRESPONDENT/BARINGO, 29TH JUNE,2017-One student of   Kolowa Secondary School in Tiaty Sub County  has  died while ten others are in critical condition in various  different hospitals in Baringo County after they consumed laboratory chemical  methanol.

The student died while receiving treatment at Mercy Hospital in Eldama Ravine town on Thursday  29th June a day after consuming the chemical stolen from the school’s laboratory.

UPESINEWS.CO.KE has learned   that Over 10 students broke into the school’s laboratory on Tuesday night where they stole a whole bottle of methanol into their dormitory and consumed it in the silence of the night.

But sooner, they started vomiting profusely and were rushed to the nearby hospitals.

Sources says  nine are Form Three and Form Four students while two are in Form One and Form Two.

Three of them took the concentrated chemical hence suffering severe internal injuries while those who had minor ailments had diluted it.

According to a clinical officer at Mercy hospital, James Orodi,  who spoke to the press they received three students on Tuesday around 2.50am. He said one died five minutes upon arrival.

“We tried to resuscitate the one who was seriously sick but he succumbed five minutes later. The two others are still under medication but they are not yet stable.

“We have administered ethanol to the duo which is an antidote of methanol they had consumed and we hope that they will recover,” said Mr Orodi.

The clinical officer said that they were yet to receive information from the school in order to know what transpired.

Facebook Comments Box