BY UPESI NEWS REPORTER,NAIROBI,DEC 7,2016-Former Transition Authority Chairman Kinuthia Wamwangi and a member of a body that vetted judges are among 35 Kenyans who have applied to chair the new seven-member electoral commission.
Mr Wamwangi and Justus Munyithya, who sat in the Judges and Magistrates Vetting Board, applied for the post advertised by a selection panel chaired by Ms Bernadette Musundi.
Former T.I chair Kinuthia Mwangi
Lawyer Haron Ndubi as well as former Mombasa mayor Taib Ali Taib Babajir have also thrown his hat in the ring for the top job.
The Ms Musundi-led team had cancelled interviews for the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) chair post after the ant-graft agency failed to clear those that had been earmarked for interviews.
Those dropped had been asked not to re-apply.
Mr Wamwangi has also applied to be a member of the commission that will replace the Issack Hassan-led team that was hounded out of office by a bi-partisan parliamentary process that sealed their fate.
Those who had been shortlisted and were not cleared are David Mukii Mereka, Roseline Odhiambo-Odede, John Mutakha Kangu, Margaret Wambui Ngugi Shava and David Malakwen Kiprop.
Apart from Mr Wamwangi and Mr Munyithya, others who have applied for the challenging post of being the returning officer for presidential elections are legal scholars and advocates, graduates in the information and technology industry, holders of different doctorate degrees as well as a few stationed and working outside Kenya.
THE 35 WHO HAVE APPLIED TO BE IEBC CHAIR
- Kinuthia Wamwangi – Nakuru
- Justus Munyithya – Kitui
- Fredrick Ochieng Wafula – Busia
- Murshid Abdalla Mohamed – Mombasa
- Stephen Kiptoo Rotich – Nandi
- Dr Fr Elias Kinoti Kithuri – Meru
- Stephen Ndirangu Njuguna – Laikipia
- John Rimberia – Meru
- Taib Ali Taib Babajir – Mombasa
- Thomas Nyakambi Maosa – Nyamira
- Suleman Mwakuphundza Toyya – Kwale
- Abdulqhadir Lorot Hussein Ramadhan – Baringo
- Jumbe Division Caleb – Kakamega
- Maseno University’s Prof Sussy Gumo – Trans Nzoia
- Dr Collins Okinyi Odongo of the USA but born in Migori
- Evans Makori Ombongi – Kisii,
- Peterkin Nyongesa – Bungoma
- Musa M’mbwana Nandwa – Kakamega
- Moses Onyango Ogindo – Homa Bay
- Dr Joseph Bradley Waweru Gitari – Nairobi
- Prof Susan Abong’o – Kisumu
- Ainea Martin Omuse – Kakamega
- John Macharia Muhuni – Murang’a
- Joshua Kamwere Wanjuku – Nyeri
- Dr Thomas Katua Ngugi – Machakos
- Prof Arthur Ashubwe Eshiwani – Kakamega
- Dr Joseph Kariuki Gakuo – Trans Nzoia
- Wanyonyi Wafula Chebukati – Trans Nzoia
- Tukore ole Kina of Kilifi, Wellington Goerge Opondo – Siaya
- Wellington George Apudo – Siaya
- Lucas Leperes Naikuni – Narok
- Florence Muoti Mwangangi – Machakos
- Peter Kilei Munyao – Kitui
- Haron Morris Mong’are Ndubi
- Ronald Joe Lubya – Vihiga