PUT IN MIND THE CONSEQUENCES OF YOUR DECISION OVER SOUTH SUDAN, GOVT TELLS UN

esipisu

BY UPESI NEWS TEAM, NAIROBI, Kenya, Nov 13 – State House spokesperson Manoah Esipisu says the Government’s Decision  to withdraw from South Sudan peace process will not affect  negatively on its international standing.

Esipisu says Kenya values its dignity and sovereignty, which has been challenged through the sacking of a Kenyan commander without consultations.

His message to the UN is ‘choices have consequences.’

“A country must decide where it stands with its people, where it stands with its dignity and where it stands with its sovereignty. If someone is going to take a decision, a Kenyan commander without consulting Kenyans, that person has to accept consequences from the Republic of Kenya,” he asserted.

During his weekly briefings at State House, Esipisu dismissed the critics of the move terming it as ‘baseless.’

“Ignorance is a bad thing. Ask yourself where we were before this administration took office,” he said. “We have made such giant strides in our international standing.”

He explained that Kenya has only detached itself from activities of United Nations Mission in South Sudan but will continue pushing for peace process in the troubled neighbouring state through other regional means.

“The President has repeatedly said that our obligation to the people of South Sudan remains in place and we will work with them bilaterally …what we will not do, is work with them as part of UNMISS for the simple reason that anyone who disrespect you is not worth of your respect,” he said.

Earlier in the month, Kenya took the decision to not only pull its troops out of South Sudan but disengage itself from the peace process after the Kenyan who’d been in UNMISS command was unceremoniously relieved of his duties.

Kenya had been asked to nominate a replacement but it declined to do so after finding that Lieutenant General Johnson Mogoa Kimani Ondieki was unfairly sacked.

The Kenyan government also took issue with the manner in which the decision was communicated with President Kenyatta himself saying that Kenya’s dignity would not be sacrificed on the altar of service.

While the UN said it respected Kenya’s decision the US and the South Sudan government implored President Kenyatta’s administration to reconsider.

UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon took the decision to sack Ondieki on November 1, five months after elevating him to the position, on receiving a special report on atrocities committed in the five-year-old nation in July.

“The Secretary-General has received Major General (retired) Patrick Cammaert’s report on the Independent Special Investigation into the violence in Juba in July 2016 and the actions of the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS), including its response to acts of sexual violence in and around the Protection of Civilians (PoC) sites at UN House and the attack on the Terrain camp.

Kenya maintains the commander was unfairly targeted.

Facebook Comments Box